Minnesota River Valley Scenic Byway Mobile Tour | Available in May 2012.
Call 888-601-3010 and listen to stories and reflections about historic sites along the Minnesota River Valley. Learn about the people who lived there and the lasting impact of the U.S.-Dakota War of 1862. Call from any location–from the byway, from home, from anywhere. Press the * key on your phone at any time to return to the menu and select another stop. More stops will be added in 2013 (Download the Travel Guide ).
Stop #1 Introduction
Hear about the Dakota origins, the settlers who moved to Minnesota, reflections about the war from Dakota today and a poem by Gabrielle Tateyuskanskan.
Stop #2 Traverse des Sioux
Listen to perspectives on the treaty signings of 1851 and 1858 and their lasting impact.
Stop #3 New Ulm, Minnesota
Hear descriptions of European immigrant life on the prairie and the legacy 1862 left with the people of New Ulm.
Stop #4 Lower Sioux Agency
Gain insights into the notion of land and home along the Minnesota River Valley and how the war changed this.
Stop #5 Birch Coulee Battlefield
Hear reflections on the spiritual connection Dakota people have with the land and their fight for survival.
Stop #6 Upper Sioux Agency
Hear reflections on the values and enduring strength of the Dakota.
Stop #7 Camp Release
Hear the story of Mazasa and learn about the mounting tensions among the Dakota leading up to the war.
The tour is funded by a grant from the National Scenic Byways Discretionary Grants Program administered by the Federal Highway Administration.
Located along the meandering Minnesota River, the Minnesota River Valley National Scenic Byway is a destination in itself.
- Breathe as you paddle through the quiet Minnesota River
- Touch 3.8 billion year old granite outcrops
- Walk through lush prairie grasses
- Picnic at state and local parks along the valley
- Hear vivid stories of prairie life
- Close your eyes and imagine becoming an explorer for a day. Relax in the tranquility of Big Bluestem prairie grasses. Watch for Dakota skipper butterflies among purple cornflowers. Scan the expansive blue sky for bald eagles or wait quietly at the river’s edge to catch a glimpse of a deer at sunset.
Take home one of our stories- we’ve got plenty to share! If you just can’t keep it to yourself, feel free to share your adventure in the Tatanka Bluffs Corridor area of the Scenic ByWay by clicking here to share your story !
To find all of the wonderful Scenic Byways of Minnesota click here!Tags: Minnesota River, Mobile Tour, Scenic Byway, Tatanka Bluffs Corridor