Fun For The Whole Family
Horseback riding can be fun for the whole family. People of all ages can enjoy lush valleys, wildlife in its natural habitat, and scenic overlooks. Horseback riding offers a unique view of some of Minnesota’s best natural beauty.
There are over 1,000 miles of horseback trails in Minnesota state parks. Tatanka Bluffs and the surrounding areas provides some of the best opportunities with an ever-growing list of trails designed especially for riding. Both Upper Sioux Agency State Park and Fort Ridgely State Park have extensive open trails. In addition to the state park trails, Renville County maintains over 700 acres of marked trails in Beaver Falls park and Skalbekken park.
- The Minnesota Trail Riders’ Association has complete information about trails and camping.
- The Minnesota Distance Riders’ Association is another good resource for connecting with other riders. Their website includes a schedule of riding events.
For those looking for more than just trails, Tatanka Bluffs offers two exceptional facilities for horseback riding and training.
- At Redwood Stables, owner Dennis Auslam works with all levels of riders and horses. The stables offer boarding, horseback riding lessons, clinics, sales and evaluations.
- At Schweiss Magister Equitum Stables, horse enthusiasts will find boarding, horseback riding lessons and training, horse rental, and schooling shows.
- Fort Ridgely Equestrian Center is a family-owned horse stables where the primary focus is the welfare of your horse. The stable is small enough to give you and your horse personalized care, yet can provide access to some of the most scenic trails in Minnesota, along with opportunities for the best in farrier, vet and chiropractic care.
Plans For Future Expansion
Although Tatanka Bluffs currently offers significant opportunities to horseback riders, we are always pushing for further growth. Tatanka Bluffs Corridor, Inc. is aggressively pursuing grant funding for two major expansions of horseback, hiking and biking trails:
- Minnesota River Horse Trail from the Minnesota River at Morton to Fort Ridgely State Park
- Minnesota River Canoe Trail Segment #2 from Granite Falls to Fort Ridgely State Park
Among those who enjoy outdoor activities, Tatanka Bluffs is already recognized as one of the hidden gems of Southwest Minnesota. With this commitment to ongoing expansion, our region will only grow in esteem.